The aim of this course is that students understand the representation and the process of knowledge in the Semantic Web. The Semantic Web is an evolving extension of the World Wide Web, in which the meaning of the information and the services on the web are defined. Several enabling technologies has been developed to define standard specifications in the data exchanged on the Internet. Such technologies are the resource description framework (RDF), a variety of shapes of data exchange (e.g. RDF / XML, N3, Turtle, n-tripling), and notes like the shape RDF (RDFS) and the ontology language for the Web (OWL). All Theses aim to provide a formal description of concepts, terms and relationships within a given area of knowledge.
Indicative Lesson Outline
- Technology of Semantic Web
RDF - RDFS
- Query Languages
Query Languages (xquery, RQL SERQL, SPARQL)
Search on the Semantic Web
- Knowledge Representation and Reasoning
- “A roadmap to the Semantic Web”, Sep 1998, Tim Berners-Lee
- “Web Architecture: Describing and Exchanging Data”, W3C Note 7 June 1999, Tim Berners-Lee, Dan Connolly, Ralph R. Swick
- “The Semantic Web”, Scientific American, May 2001, Tim Berners-Lee, James Hendler and Ora Lassila
- “Semantic Web Advanced Development in Europe” by Brian Matthews and Michael Wilson, CLRC, and Dan Brickley, W3C. ERCIM News No. 51, October 2002.
- “The Semantic Web lifts off” by Tim Berners-Lee and Eric Miller, W3C. ERCIM News No. 51, October 2002.
- “Integrating Applications on the Semantic Web” (english version), James Hendler, Tim Berners-Lee and Eric Miller, Journal of the Institute of Electrical Engineers of Japan, Vol 122(10), October, 2002, p. 676-680.
- http://athena.ics.forth.gr:9090/RDF/ (The ICS-FORTH RDFSuite: High-level Scalable Tools for the Semantic Web)
- “Semantic Web History: Nodes and Arcs” 1989-1999 The WWW Proposal and RDF, 1999-11-12, Dan Brickley
- “Resource Description Framework (RDF) Model and Syntax Specification”W3C Recommendation 22 February 1999 Ora Lassila, Ralph R. Swick, eds.
- “Εισαγωγή στο σημασιολογικό ιστό”, Γρηγόρης Αντωνίου, Frank van Harmelen, ISBN 978-960-461-234-5 , Κλειδαριθμος.